Friday, November 10, 2017

Veterans' Day, 2017

Tomorrow is Veterans' Day in the US. It was originally celebrated as Armistice Day, the anniversary of the cease-fire on the Western Front in World War I. Now it's a day set aside to honor those who have served or are currently serving our nation in the uniformed services--the living and the dead.

I'm proud to be a veteran, having served three years in the US Air Force. I salute my fellow veterans, and give special thanks to those currently serving. Sometimes the sacrifice involved seems so little. At other times, it's the ultimate sacrifice. And that's what we especially honor today.

I consider our national anthem to be symbolic of the dedication of these men and women to our nation, and I will always stand at attention as it's played. To do otherwise is, at least in my eyes, disrespectful of the service of so many and the sacrifices they made to assure our freedom. I still hold to the motto, "Stand for the anthem, kneel in prayer." Thank you to all who've made that possible.

May God heal our land, and may we work together to make this once more, "One nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all."

6 comments:

Susan Johnson said...

Thank you for your service, Dr. Mabry.

Richard Mabry said...

Susan, I appreciate your comment.

greg fuller said...

Thank you for your service. Dr. Mabry. My father and younger brother both served in the service (NAVY). My young brother is now Retired after 28 plus years. I hope your special day as well as others who have or are still serving, that they are honored as well.

Paula said...

Amen, Richard. Thankyou for your service!

Patricia Bradley said...

Yes, amen, Richard. And thank you for your service. Even though Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day in the mid-fifties, my father, who served in WWII always called it Armistice Day as long as he lived.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks to you all for your comments. I'll be back next week with "stuff" on Tuesday and more about writing on Friday. Have a good weekend--and thank a veteran.