Monday, September 11, 2017

Let Us Never Forget

Yes, I usually blog about "stuff" on Tuesday, but I thought it was important to post this today. As I pondered what to write on my blog, I had lots of choices. Two hurricanes (three if you count the one that didn't impact the US directly), the baseball season winding down, the football season getting underway, fall coming (and has already come in some areas)--but then it dawned on me. Today is the anniversary of the September 11 attack.

I'll never forget where I was when it all happened, and I suspect many of you can say the same thing. I was in Denver, attending a professional meeting. I left the hotel fairly early to go to a breakfast for our leadership, and as I walked the two short blocks to where the meeting was being held I saw people looking in store windows at the TV images there. I called Kay, who had not heard the news.

We were delayed in our return to Dallas, of course. One doctor and his wife rented a Ryder truck to drive home. The staff of our meeting chartered a bus. We were guests of a very nice hotel until my brother-in-law drove from the Dallas area to get us in his pick-up truck. It took quite a while before things got back to anywhere near normal, although it was now the "new normal." We adjusted, and we all vowed that we would never forget.

It's many years later. That vow lives on in my life. How about yours?

God bless America.


6 comments:

Paula said...

I was watching TV. With my small kids and called my Mother. For a while we thought maybe a small plane had struck. The whole next weeks were consumed with everything associated with the attack! We just couldn't believe what we were watching. It changed so many things!

Richard Mabry said...

Paula, I just hope that our resolve as a nation doesn't fade with time. Thanks for commenting.

Patricia Bradley said...

America as we knew it changed that day. We lost our innocence and sense of security. I was at church at a Bible study. We thought the first plane was a horrible accident, then the second plane hit and it became clear the first one was no accident. I got chill bumps and teared up again this morning when I heard the names being read aloud. May we NEVER forget.

Richard Mabry said...

Patricia, I agree--that's why I talk about a "new normal." Would you feel comfortable now flying with no TSA security check? But we did for years.
Thanks for the comment.

Elise Griffith said...

We'd just moved from Ohio to So. Cal. and my phone rang very early in the morning. It was a friend from NYC telling me to turn on the T.V. The first plane had hit. Moments later, as we were talking, the second plane hit. I was glued to the T.V. all morning as the rest unfolded.

A few weeks ago I came across some old photo note cards I'd made. One had a picture I'd taken in Central Park in Sept. 1998. Through back lit trees and across the green grass in the distance stood the towers. I'd been visiting that friend and her baby daughter when I took it, not knowing that almost 3 yrs. later to the day everything would change. No, I'll never forget.

Richard Mabry said...

Elise, I don't think any of us will ever forget that day, where we were and what we were doing. Thanks for adding your comment.