Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Keeping The Watch

I heard an expression the other day that fascinated me: "Keep the watch." The words were said at the commissioning of a ship, and I thought perhaps they were part of a naval tradition, sort of like the typical parting words to a sailor: "Fair winds and a following sea." But what I found was this. "Watchstanding, or watchkeeping, in nautical terms concerns the division of qualified personnel to operate a ship continuously. On a typical sea-faring vessel, be it naval or merchant, personnel keep watch on the bridge and over the running machinery."

It seems to me that those words are applicable to all of us, not just those who keep watch over the course of the vessel and the mechanism that drives it. Each of us has a responsibility to maintain the course of our lives, to guard against events or entities that would threaten us, because others look to us. Did you ever really that there was someone--spouse, parent, child, friend, acquaintance--who was looking at the course you steered for your life? And if you deviate from it, they might follow you--even if it was in the wrong direction.

So, after reading those words the other day, I made a determined resolution to "keep the watch" in my own life...because others might be following. How about you? Is it important that you keep the watch? I'd like to hear.

Tweet with a single click. "Is it important that we 'keep the watch' in our lives?" 

Note: This is the week for the official release of my next novel, Cardiac Event, and I promised to let you know where you might win a signed copy. Yesterday I was interviewed on the blog of colleague Lena Nelson Dooley. If you click here and leave a comment, you'll have a chance to win my book. And if you've already ordered your copy, show me the receipt and I'll send you an Amazon gift card instead. What could be fairer than that?


3 comments:

Paula said...

Thanks for the post Richard. It made me think of when the Old Testament talked about a watchman on the wall. Like around a city. We watch out for enemies and call the alarm! Warn people and give them hope in Christ! Thanks again!

Patricia Bradley said...

Your post reminded me of the watchman in Ezekiel, too. PMost people know I'm a Christian so I try to stay mindful that I may be the only Bible some will read.

Richard Mabry said...

Paula and Patricia, thanks for your comments. Good analogies.