Friday, June 23, 2017

Writing: Quotes About Writing

When I looked over the archives of this blog, I discovered these quotes I posted five years ago. I've added comments in one or two places, in addition to the ones already there. And there's one at the end that I didn't put in the original post. Enjoy.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." (true, sadly it's true)
- Douglas Adams (he was a humorist who wrote Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy)

"Most writers can write books faster than publishers can write checks." (and all the authors in the audience said, "amen.")
- Richard Curtis (Readers can read them faster than we can write 'em, as well.)

"Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until the drops of blood form on your forehead." (especially when your brain says, "I got nothing.")
- Gene Fowler (this is also attributed to other writers, including a variant by sportswriter Red Smith, who supposedly said, "Writing is easy. You just open a vein and bleed.")

"Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none." (obviously written after a particularly bad review).
- Jules Renard (And the more I write, the more I remind myself not to read reviews--but keep writing them, anyway).

"A blank piece of paper is God's way of telling us how hard it is to be God." (and now it's a blank computer screen).
- Sidney Sheldon (Satan is supposed to have told God one day that he could create a world, too. When told to go ahead, Satan scooped up a handful of clay, but God said, "Oh, no. Make your own clay.)

"There are three rules for writing. Unfortunately, no one can agree what they are." (but when we finally agree on them, Jim Bell will write a book about it).
- Somerset Maugham (Jim, you're written so many books--and I have them all on my Kindle--but still waiting for this one).

And I'll add one of my favorites: "Many people hear voices when no one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing.”  
-Meg Chittenden

What are your favorite quotes on writing? I'd love to hear (and maybe steal) them.

Click here to tweet. "Quotes about writing."

2 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

Love this post. This is mine: If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.
Stephen King

Richard Mabry said...

Good quote, Patricia. I'll certainly steal...I mean, remember and use it. Thanks.