Friday, June 09, 2017

Writing: The Long Road to Book Publication

Some of you with good memories may recognize this book cover. Facebook has reminded me that it was a year ago that I signed a contract with what I termed "a new publisher with experienced people." My first book due out from them was this one, Cardiac Event. Through a series of circumstances that we need not detail, that publication date was first delayed and then delayed again. Finally it became apparent this wasn't going to work out for that publisher, who very kindly reverted the rights of my book back to me.

Since that time, my agent and I have worked diligently to find a home for this and subsequent books of mine, but nothing seemed to work out. So this week I decided it was time to move full-bore into indie-publication of the two books I have waiting.

Since I've already indie-published three novellas, this wasn't unknown territory for me. And because I've had ten novels released by traditional publishers, I fit the mold of "hybrid" authors. Does this mean all my future novels will be indie-published? Or will I sign with a traditional publisher for future books? There's no way to tell. Stay tuned.

What I can tell you, though, is that Cardiac Event will be out fairly soon. How soon? My guess is another month or two. And, just as was the case with my last novella, Doctor's Dilemma, subscribers to my newsletter will hear about it first, and have the opportunity to get the Kindle version at a pre-release price that will be lower than the ultimate one. If you don't already get my newsletter, go to the right margin of this blog and scroll down until you find that sign-up tab.

Meanwhile, here's my question for you. How far do you go with a book to get it published? At what point would you put it aside and work on another? I'd like to know.

Tweet with a single click. "Watch for the publication of Richard's eleventh medical mystery, Cardiac Event." Click here to tweet.

4 comments:

greg fuller said...

I know I have been curious as well as bugger, to find out what is going on with your novels or novellas...I guess the good Lord will provide us with one of your novels or novellas in time.

When you find an author you like you wish his/her work would be available more quickly. You (I) become like a child who gets antsy....like at Christmas and being out of school, having to wait to open your gifts...hoping a great novel by your favorite author is under the tree to read to take away the boredom. You feel like you've accomplished something once the book is finished.

When your next novel is available I'll be sure to order the novel and anything that comes after Cardiac Event.

Greg F. Fuller

Patricia Bradley said...

I'm not sure how long I would work to get a book published before putting it aside. Probably not very long with indie publishing a viable option. :-)

Patricia Bradley said...

And I'm looking forward to Cardiac Event!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Patricia. I've let inertia slow me down, but things are moving now.