Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Unpopular Things

In The Crisis, Thomas Paine wrote about "the summer soldier and the sunshine patriot." That phrase has been running through my mind recently, not because of any single incident or cause, but rather the thought that it's become easy to espouse a cause when it's popular, less so when it becomes difficult.

There's a saying in the area that refers to the Dallas Cowboys football team: "We love you, win or tie." And it was easy for those of us who follow the Texas Rangers to identify with them when they were doing well, but as they sink lower and lower in the standings it's harder to find their fans.

Lest this deteriorate into a political discussion, let me hasten to say that, although I have my own ideas about those elected to govern this great nation, I'm not talking about politics. What I'd like the readers of this blog to do is look into their hearts and determine whether they're "summer soldiers and sunshine patriots," happy to be identified with winners, but not so much losers, especially if the cause is unpopular. What cause(s) do you think you'd stand up for, even under those circumstances?


7 comments:

Elise Griffith said...

I was raised Catholic. Went to Catholic grade school. Was saved at age 11 at a VBS, then went to a Baptist Bible College and was married in the Evangelical Free Church. A Catholic upbringing is unpopular in some Christian communities, so I've quietly, respectfully defended my religious upbringing within churches and (especially) to the family I married into. Had my marriage blessed by a Jesuit priest for our 10th Anniversary. I'm grateful for my roots, often explaining things others don't understand about Catholics. I joke that I'm religiously bi-lingual. :-)

Richard Mabry said...

Elise, I suppose being religiously bilingual is better than the alternative. Seriously, glad you're able to "interpret." Thanks for your comment.

Paula said...

I would say standing up for your faith and religious freedoms. Just because something is popular doesn't make it right. God has absolutes. You can't have Salvation by voting on it! It is freely given Grace from the One who paid the ultimate Price! And if Christ stands for us--- how can we not stand fast for Him?
Then there are the due hard Packer or Cubs fans!
Blessings and thankyou Richard!

Paula said...

That was supposed to die hard! Auto fill again!

Richard Mabry said...

Paula, I shiver every time I see stories of Christians who are given the choice of denying their faith or dying...and they choose a martyr's death. Thanks for your comment.
And isn't autocorrect wonderful?

Patricia Bradley said...

I think about and hope that I'd be like the men who were beheaded by ISIS, and I know it fruitless to ponder that since God will give us grace if we are faced with those circumstances.

Paula said...

Amen, Richard and Pat. He will give us Grace if and when the time comes. Thanks , you two! I liked the first Ladin' comment , too!