Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The Rotary Four-Way Test

I hadn't thought of these principles for years until I recently re-read one of Ross Thomas's novels. I can't find the one he wrote that includes this, but I'm sure it was one of them. I still remember these precepts from my days as a Rotarian. Maybe we should remember them when we go to post a remark to a story or blog post on social media.

In case you wonder, the questions are:
  1. Is it the truth?
  2. Is it fair to all concerned?
  3. Will it build goodwill and better friendships?
  4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?

I'm writing this after the terrible shooting that took out several congressmen and aides as they prepared for a charity baseball game. Today I heard a news anchor (the station doesn't matter) say that we should be free to disagree and to express our opinions without fear of repercussions or retaliation. I agree. Whatever happened to that principle? Perhaps a return to the four-way test is a good first step.

Click here to tweet. "Should these principles be applied to comments on social media?" 

3 comments:

Paula said...

We had something similar at Walgreens, when I was working there. But one of the points was adhering to company policy. I think most companies around a certain time must have adapted this as a business model! Not that it did much for what they thought the bottom line was supposed to be. The one I worked at had some deficiencies in the management department! Let's just say I'm glad I'm retired!
Not saying there are some valid points. Just that not all will adhere to them. Thanks

Elise Griffith said...

Those are good principles to follow in any social situation, online or in-person. They also follow the principles of New Testament scripture. Sadly, I think our society has moved in a direction of *intending* to incite discord. It's not just on social media. You see it on the news every day. Those who work with the general public deal with it regularly. It's not a good path that we're on as a society. Without change, this won't end well.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Paula and Elise. We could all use a bit more consideration when we take to Twitter and Facebook (but not you all--thanks for your comments).