Tuesday, June 13, 2017

"The Good Old Days..."

For some reason, when I read the paragraph I'm about to share I thought of Billy Joel's song, Keeping The Faith. In it he says, "The good old days weren't always good. Tomorrow's not as bad as it seems."

As some of you may have noted from my tweets, I'm reading one of Lawrence Block's books on writing, this one entitled Spider Spin Me A Web. I'd read all the other books in this group (taken from his columns in Writer's Digest), but somehow had missed this one.

Toward the end of the book, he quotes from a communication he received from a fellow writer. Realize this is about writing, but it could just as easily apply to any profession. The writer refers to "hard economic times." She says that writers (about whom this is written) who could have been published ten years ago, even five, aren't getting contracts. Things are tough. What struck me was that this letter was in a book that saw the light of day thirty years ago!

Admittedly, there has been a revolution in publishing, and I predict that "traditional" publishers will eventually change. There have also been changes in other industries and professions. I'm currently writing about a surgeon who refuses to adapt to the newer techniques in his field, and I identify very much with this man (even though he's not the hero of the story). Keeping up with these changes is tough, and although I don't know about you, my crystal ball is cloudy.

As Billy Joel sings, "The good old days weren't always good. Tomorrow's not as bad as it seems."

What do you think? Have the advances in every field made them worse or better for the practitioner?

Click here to tweet. "Were the good old days really all that good?"

2 comments:

Elise Griffith said...

Medical advances mean the average American lifespan has extended by a decade since I was a girl. A dear friend hospitalized for heart failure a few weeks ago (her oxygen and heart function levels were at 10%) wouldn't be alive today without them. Books? Huxley wound up self-publishing "Brave New World" and Seuss collected more than 40 rejections before his children's books made it into print. The "good old days" included 2 world wars and the Great Depression. We live in troubled times... always have, but there are blessings!

Richard Mabry said...

True, Elise. Thanks for your comment.