Friday, June 30, 2017

July 4, 2017

I'm departing from my usual practice of publishing "writing stuff" today, in order to post this about the forthcoming holiday.

On July 4  we will celebrate the anniversary of the birth of this nation--a nation, as Lincoln put it, "conceived under God." And when I look around me, I'm saddened by the events of our world, and those taking place in our own country.

We'll fly our flag this weekend, as we do almost every day. We'll stand with our hands over our hearts and join in the singing of our national anthem when it's played. We'll vote and work and pray for our nation. And hope that it's enough.

When I was commissioned an officer in the Air Force, I took an oath to preserve, protect, and defend our nation from all enemies, both foreign and domestic. I still try to live up to those words.

I encourage everyone on this Independence Day to pause and reflect on what it has taken for us to be free citizens in this nation. America was founded on the principles of set forth in our pledge of allegiance, a country that is "one nation, under God, indivisible...with liberty and justice for all." Some folks are trying (with some success) to remove the words "under God" from that pledge of allegiance. That makes me sad. 

I'll be back Friday, July 7, at which time I hope to have more information about my forthcoming novel, Cardiac Event. Meanwhile, enjoy the holiday, but don't forget its meaning.

PS--Not only was Medical Judgment named on the list of 2017's best by Christian Retailers, but Critical Condition ebook is 99 cents from now through July, all online retailers. Have a great July 4.

5 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

Have a Happy Fourth, Richard. I wish everyone would stop and think about what it means.

Paula said...

Hi Richard. Thankyou for your service. My husband spent 6 years in the .Navy and he says the oath he took has not expired! Glad you feel the same way! It really saddens me to see the way our freedoms are being eroded! I just remember that God is in control and the Gospel seems to flourish during persecution! Blessings on this holiday weekend!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Patricia and Paula, for your comments.
Paula, I'm currently wearing my "veteran" T shirt, which says no one has revoked my oath to defend the United States against all enemies, domestic and foreign. I feel that way, and I'm glad to see your husband does, too.

Elise Griffith said...

True patriotism (to me) means an attitude of gratitude for all of those who have served our country to protect the safety and security of all her citizens. Freedom isn't merely an entitlement to be expected. It's a priceless gift. With it comes a responsibility to all those who laid down their lives that we might have the privilege of its enjoyment. Thank you for your service. God Bless you as you celebrate.

Richard Mabry said...

Elise, thank you---and amen.