Tuesday, April 04, 2017

No Pain, No Gain

We've heard the phrase repeatedly. Athletes especially are encouraged to continue their work-outs, even when the activity hurts, because there's no improvement in strength without some discomfort.

I was having lunch late last week with someone in the publishing business who asked me, "How did you get started writing?" I'd told the story so many times, I thought it was familiar to everyone, but once more I related how Cynthia's death and my journaling afterward led me--slowly and painfully--into the writing and publication of The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse, and subsequently into my second career, this one as an author.

That got me to thinking about why so many writers of my acquaintance have deep hurts and difficulties in their personal life. Most of us, because we're not privy to those lives, don't realize this is true, but it shows up in their writing--and it's the better for it. This, too, is a case of "no pain, no gain." As A. W. Tozer said, "Whom God would use greatly, He will hurt deeply." And I believe it.

How about you? Can you think of a situation in your life when you had pain, yet gain ultimately came from it? You may not wish to publicize it, but if you don't mind I think it would help us all to see it.

Tweet with a single click: "Does 'No pain, no gain' apply to life in general?" Click here to tweet.

3 comments:

Elise Griffith said...

My husband;s grandmother--who, for a time, was a dorm mother at a mission school in Africa--lived to be 100. We moved nearby when she was 93. The last few years of her life were very difficult for her, and it was painful to watch. We've been grateful, though, that our sons had the time with her and the experience, because they're both exceptionally good with and compassionate towards the elderly. In their jobs during college, each dealt with elderly folks on a regular basis. So many people today don't stop to think about what it feels like to grow older, lose mobility and independence and/or struggle with daily tasks once done quickly & automatically. Loving Christians will (inadvertently) treat older relatives like children. My sons learned how to help preserve an elderly person's dignity.

Richard Mabry said...

Elise, thanks for sharing that. And I'm glad that, rather than looking on the experience as a burden, you and your sons were able to see the good that came out of it.

Paula said...

We cannot escape the human condition . We all face pain because of Sin! But we know the One to lead us through it all! Jesus Christ our
Lord and Savior. He faced the Ultimate pain on the Cross "for us"! He went before us , so we don't have to face the pain of Hell. Every time I take the Lord's Supper I thank Him for His great Sacrifice! Blessings!