Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentine's Day

Today is Valentine's Day. If you intend to take your wife or sweetheart out for dinner tonight and haven't made a reservation already, enjoy your hamburger or pizza! I made the mistake once of that oversight. Fortunately, we were friends with the restaurant owner, so the wait wasn't long. But let's just say I won't do it again.

In case anyone is curious, the stylized "heart" you see about this time of year, often as  a box containing pieces of chocolate, looks nothing like a human heart. There are a number of stories about how this shape came to be used. For instance, I've heard that the curves at the top indicate the vessels running from the heart downward to supply the rest of the body--anatomically incorrect, but the thought is there. If you want to read other theories, click this link.

How do you plan to celebrate Valentine's Day? Leave a comment telling us (or say it's none of our business). Either way, happy Valentine's Day.

PS--My apologies to those who read and commented on my post about free books that appeared briefly in this space. It was meant for this coming Friday, and for some reason the incomplete draft got published much too early. Come back in three days for the finished product. Thanks.

7 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

I'm foregoing the dinner out and grilling steaks. :-)

Richard Mabry said...

I like mine medium well. What time shall we be there?

Patricia Bradley said...

Sixish. And it's a flatiron steak--my favorite. :-)

Gail H. said...

Meat in crockpot. Rice and turnip greens. Happy Valentines Day! ❤☕❤☕❤☕

Richard Mabry said...

Had turnip greens the other night. The simple dishes are fine with me.
With us, it's chili--at home.

Elise Griffith said...

We'd have gone out for dinner, but I've got the flu my husband had last week. Instead, beef tri tip will go on the grill or into the oven to roast. My DH did get me his Valentine's Standard Gifts... roses in a bud vase, chocolate and a gushy card.

Richard Mabry said...

Elise, hope you feel better soon. I like the idea of husband and wife exchanging cards, reading them, then putting them back in the rack and leaving the store. : )
Thanks for your comment.