Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Political Posts

I honestly believed we'd see the rhetoric on social media tone down after the election. Not so! It's still going on, and sometimes it seems to me that, if the people commenting were in the same room, we'd see a fist-fight. C'mon people.

On one writer's loop of which I'm a member (not, I might add, one populated just by Christian writers), I recently read this: "I have been appalled by what others have said in public and how they have said it."  I can only echo that sentiment.

Another writer said, "It's changed my opinion of some authors." We in this profession are urged to participate in social media to let our readers know more about us. But has this round of political posts been too much? Has it cost us some readers? Should we back off, or post our opinions no matter what?

Thus far I've posted "writing stuff" on my FB fan page and avoided political opinions and postings on my personal page. However, I'm getting tired of blocking posts that raise my blood pressure and even unfriending a person or two after looking at their sites after they left pretty far out comments. I'm considering a change. Stay tuned.

Without mentioning a political party a particular person, or your personal preferences, answer this question in the comments: Have you ever encountered a post or comment on social media that made you change your mind? And, to extend the question further, has one of your posts or comments ever resulted in someone else changing their mind?

7 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

The answer to both questions is no. That's why I never make political comments. My mother always said never talk politics or religion at the supper table. I figure that works for FB as well. :-)

Betti said...

I don't believe I have changed my mind - it has made me consider what I think, but not so far as to change what I believe for myself. I imagine the same holds true for the few political posts I have shared. I really am not quite sure why the posts continue....I have become very good at scrolling past anything that is political.

Richard Mabry said...

Patricia and Betti, thanks for your comments. I find myself on the horns of a dilemma, wanting to respond to some of the posts and comments I see on Facebook, but unwilling to start a "war"--which is what some of those exchanges turn into.
And Betti, I use the "hide this post" or "comment" a lot--but less than I used to, as FB realizes I don't like this kind of post.

Paula said...

That's a tough one. I don't do Facebook. But we tried to email pertinent information to our kids before the election. One son said he doesn't even open up things we forward to him. I think they all made up their own minds. One said he doesn't put his trust in politicians but in Christ!

Richard Mabry said...

Paula, Kay and I have four children between us, and they represent the spectrum from liberal to conservative. Since I want to see pictures of our grandchildren, there's no way I want to "unfriend" the ones whose politics doesn't match our own. And we've all learned not to discuss politics around the family dinner table when we all get together (which is infrequent enough). 'Tis a puzzlement. Thanks for your comment.

Elise Griffith said...

Like Patricia Bradley, I was raised not to discuss politics socially. In answer to your questions, no. Abraham Lincoln said "people are about as happy as they decide to be"... or something like that. It's unfortunate and unsettling to see so many unhappy Americans, but this isn't the first time there's been a lot of social unrest. Remember the 60s and 70s? It's not a good idea (IMO) for *businesses* to take a public, political position.

Richard Mabry said...

Elise, the first time I heard the Lincoln quote, I thought that had to be something Will Rogers said--turned out I was wrong.
I think all of us are entitled to their opinion, political and otherwise. However, I'm not sure social media is the place to air them. Thanks for your comment.