Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Life Isn't Always Smooth

This past week, like most weeks, has provided ups and downs in my life. I suspect it has in yours, as well. I've been looking through the archives of this blog and was reminded of the hills and valleys in my life thus far. It seems that life isn't a straight horizontal line nor does it trace a smooth upward course, but it more closely resembles the ups and downs of a roller coaster. But even experiencing those "downs" can be useful, if for no other reason than to help us recall the way we were pulled out of tough times, even when we couldn't see a way out ourselves.

Years ago, multi-published author and speaker Liz Curtis Higgs said that sometimes our writing has to have an edge to it, even make readers uncomfortable. And sometimes this edge in really good writing comes from having experienced the same emotion as our characters. She's right.

I'll take that even a step further, and say that whatever we do with our days--writer, teacher, executive, physician, technician, roofer--our life experiences can prepare us for what's around the bend. When I wrote my last novel, Medical Judgment, I was able to draw on my feelings of loneliness and isolation experienced when my first wife died.

I'd like to know if you've ever gone through something in which you saw no way out, but afterward were able to look back and say something good came from the experience.

Tweet with a single click: Do the tough times we experience sometimes help us cope with what's around the bend? Click here to tweet.

NOTE: If you're not already signed up for my newsletter, please click here to do so now. I'll be giving subscribers a preview of my novella, Doctor's Dilemma, in the issue I send out tomorrow, plus a special pre-order price.


5 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

When my husband died, it was as though my whole life came to a screeching halt. It took a while for me to get my life together.

Jackie Smith said...

After my upcoming back surgery, I hope I can see something GOOD from it!!!!!

Richard Mabry said...

Patricia, I know exactly what you mean. I couldn't see anything good coming out of Cynthia's death, but ultimately it moved me into a second profession.
Jackie, I hope you get as much relief from your back surgery as I did from mine.
Thanks to you both for your comments.

Paula said...

I look at those "down" times as an experience that I can use to minister to others and empathize. And remember that Christ has experienced everything for us so we can get through it with His help. He has been there, for us and with us!

Richard Mabry said...

Paula, Wise words. Thanks for sharing them, and for your regular comments.