Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Where To All These "Days" Come From?

Each morning I check Facebook to see what's new. Yesterday I saw a picture of my golf partner and his wife eating a cheeseburger...because it was National Cheeseburger Day. Really? National Cheeseburger Day?

I recently discovered that my son and daughter-in-law's wedding anniversary falls on National Talk Like A Pirate Day. He swears he didn't know about it when they set their wedding date.

I've missed out on some free stuff by not realizing until too late that it was National Donut Day. But my wife told me that if we'd gone by Krispy Kreme today and talked like a pirate, we'd get a free donut.

I recognize holidays like Christmas, New Year's, Thanksgiving. I even realize that Columbus Day is a holiday (although I'm not sure why). But where do all these "National" days come from? Got any ideas?

Well, while you ponder that question, I'm going to do a bit of online searching. I might find that there's a national New Car Day...and, if so, surely there's a dealer somewhere giving one away to the first dozen people who come by.

Tweet with a single click: "How do days like National Cheeseburger Day get started?" Click here to tweet.

3 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

I don't either, but every month Edie Melson puts out a list of a lot of the National day of...

Richard Mabry said...

I'll have to pay more attention to Edie's list. Hope you're getting along okay.

Patricia Bradley said...

Thanks, Richard. A heart cath isn't the most fun and took more out of me than I thought. :-) It's what I get for not telling the doctor I thought I was having A-Fib attacks.