Monday, September 12, 2016

"And The World Changed..."

(This will take the place of my regular Tuesday post--for obvious reasons).

Like most of you, I can remember where I was on September 11, 2001. We were winding up the annual meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (the AAO-HNS) in Denver, and I was walking from our hotel to the Convention Center for a meeting when I got the call from Kay on my cell phone. I couldn't believe what she told me. Then I saw people looking in the windows of a furniture store, watching the images unfold on the TV sets there. It was real...and our world changed forever that day.

The days that followed were filled with anxiety, doubt, uncertainty. We were far from home, and all around us, people were scrambling to get back. A number of the officers and employees of the AAO-HNS leased a bus to go back to their headquarters in DC, dropping off people at cities along the way. One couple, two married doctors, rented a truck to drive back home, since there were no cars available. My brother-in-law, bless him, drove his pickup from the Dallas area to get us and take us back home. And the skies were eerily empty as flights were grounded.

We've just observed the fifteenth anniversary of that day. Since that time, everything has changed, from the way we travel to the way our society functions. But let me pause here and ask each of you to recall the resolve you felt following those attacks. Please don't let our national spirit die. Instead, let it be stronger than ever. God bless America.

Tweet with a single click: "Reflections on September 11, 2001." Click here to tweet.

2 comments:

Lauri Harris said...

Thanks. This is a good post and a good reminder to keep the spirit of America strong.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Lauri. I especially liked the ceremonies before the Dallas Cowboys game yesterday.