Tuesday, September 27, 2016

A Personal Note

Some of you know this, others don't, but I want to recognize the importance of the approaching date by mentioning these events that have helped shape my life.

It was a blessing when Cynthia Ann Surovik did me the honor of becoming my wife in 1959. Our forty years of marriage brought forth three wonderful children, many positive memories (and a few negative ones), and seemed like it would never end. But it did--on September 28, 1999, when she passed away after a sudden episode of bleeding on the brain. Out of my journaling that followed came my first non-medical book, The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse. And that, in turn, helped me transition from the practice of medicine to a new career in writing.



Then God blessed me a second time with the love of a wonderful woman, Kay Glasgow. We've now been married for over fifteen years. A second marriage takes some adjustment--matter of fact, I've written a chapter on the blended family for the second edition of The Tender Scar--but it's been good to have her at my side as I move forward.

I want to pause and thank God for these two women whose love has blessed me.

And I'd like to thank those of you who've followed me as I pursue this new career path that has opened up for me. I appreciate your support.

18 comments:

Claudia Davis said...

Thank you for sharing. You are a blessed man and you've encouraged others with your story.

Richard Mabry said...

Thank you, Claudia, for your kind words.

Lyn Parker said...

Thank you for sharing this part of your life with us, your readers and followers. You're living proof that God can turn a mess into a message. I can't wait to see what awesome and new things He is going to do in your life!

Shelli Littleton said...

Richard, thank you for sharing your heart. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to have met you. You are a blessing.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Lynn and Shell. I was hesitant to share this information, but didn't want tomorrow to go unmarked. As I've often said, He can use what seems to be the worst thing that can happen to bring about good. Come to think of it, isn't that what we try to do in plotting our novels?

Edward Arrington said...

Thanks for sharing. God bless you as you continue to seek and follow His will. And I hope that includes keeping the great books coming.

Richard Mabry said...

Edward, thanks for your comment and your kind words. I plan to keep writing, so long as you (and others) keep on reading.

Susan Snodgrass said...

Thanks for sharing your heart with us, Dr. Mabry. I'm so glad you found love a second time. Truly, you are blessed. As are we, your readers.

Richard Mabry said...

Thank you Susan, for being a loyal fan as well as for your comment. I appreciate them both.

Myra Johnson said...

I am blessed to have had the chance to know both these lovely ladies. Such sweet memories of Cynthia and her kind and gentle ways, and so glad for the happiness you and Kaye now share!

Patricia Bradley said...

Anniversaries like tomorrow are hard, even after years have passed and life is good again. Will be thinking of you tomorrow and lifting you up.

Richard Mabry said...

Myra, I especially appreciate your words about Cynthia and Kay, since you did indeed have the opportunity to know them both.
And thank you, Patricia, for your comment as well. I appreciate your support.

Jackie Smith said...

Thanks, Richard, for sharing. Many blessings on you, Kay and your writing. We readers are so thankful for your great books!

Richard Mabry said...

Thank you, Jackie. I appreciate your kind words.

Carrie Padgett said...

Thank you, Richard, for sharing this reminder that there is grace is journey and that we never know what's around the corner. Your book is a wonderful tribute to Cynthia and your family, that also shares hope for the future.

Richard Mabry said...

Carrie, I appreciate that. You and I have gone a long way on this journey to writing, haven't we? Thanks for your comment.

Deborah Raney said...

Thinking of you on this anniversary, Doc. The Tender Scar is a wonderful book that I've shared with several who were traveling the same journey. Thank you for allowing your sorrow to become healing for so many through sharing your journey.

Richard Mabry said...

Deb, thanks so much. The Tender Scar just shows once more how God can take a terrible event and use it for His ultimate glory. Cynthia would be proud (and a bit astonished). I appreciate your comment.