Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Wanting vs. Needing

I heard a comedy routine last week in which a father tried to show his teen-age son the difference between "want" and "need." The son wanted a pair of $150 athletic shoes. The father had $70 budgeted for shoes. He said, "What you want are those shoes. What you need is $80 more to get them."

Then I thought of a small sign my father had in his shoe repair shop. For those who didn't know my dad, he worked as a grocery store clerk, a shoe repairman, sewing machine salesman and repairer, furniture store salesman, air-conditioning/heating repairman, and eventually the owner of an air-conditioning/heating company. He never forgot his humble beginnings, and knew he had to work for what he got.

The sign said, "I was sad because I had no shoes. Then I met a man who had no feet." Dad was grateful for what he had. And I need to be reminded of that...frequently.

Has something shown you the difference between "want" and "need?" What are you grateful for?  I'd like to know.

Tweet with a single click: "Do you know the difference between 'want' and 'need?'" Click here to tweet.

4 comments:

Vera Godley said...

Dr. Mabry, I did not know your father was a shoe repairman. Or as the old folks said, A Cobbler. I come from a line of cobblers, too. My great grandfather, my grandfather, my father, and my uncle. But as with your Dad, my father and uncle eventually left off cobbling to work other areas. My Dad was an auto parts salesman (and an accountant on the side) until his retirement and my uncle an accountant. My father learned his accounting from a correspondence course which gave him the equivalent of a 4-year college degree without the other core courses. He was also a lay preacher and accomplished public speaker.

Yes, proud of my beginnings.

Richard Mabry said...

Vera, we both came from men who weren't afraid to work for what they got--we need more of that attitude nowadays. Thanks for sharing.

Patricia Bradley said...

I was raised by parents who never got past the 8th grade (4th for my mom) My mom taught herself to read with True Story and my dad taught himself physics and calculus and became a navigator on a ship. They never accepted "I can't do this" and heard early on that I could do whatever I put my mind to. I guess that was one reason I was able to hang in 32 years before I saw my first book released. :-)

I hate that shoe repair is becoming a lost art. Because that's what it was.

Richard Mabry said...

Patricia, the virtues we learned are fast become a thing of the past...and that's a shame.
Thanks for your comment.