Tuesday, June 14, 2016

It Didn't Work Out That Way

I had it all planned out. My intention was to retire, sit on the porch and rock, play a little golf, travel, and enjoy life. But things didn't work out that way.

Retirement led me from one profession (medicine) to another (writing). I never did get around to rocking, but that was okay, because the people I saw doing it didn't seem to be getting anywhere. My golf game is hopeless, although it's been a lot more fun since my golf partner and I stopped keeping score. Travel has become so hazardous that I rarely have a desire to go anywhere, and when I do it's a hassle to go through security, then sit in a cramped aluminum tube for hours.

In other words, this isn't the life I imagined. Yet now I can't imagine any other. It's really true, isn't it? Man proposes. God disposes. Then again, that path is  often better than what we had planned for ourself anyway.

Is the course of your life different than the one you planned? Are things better or worse? I'd like to know.

Tweet with a single click. "Have things gone differently than you planned?" Click here to tweet.

6 comments:

Elise Griffith said...

My DH and I are in our mid fifties and have been talking about plans for retirement. Just this week we realized that for almost everyone we know, it's worked out much differently than had been planned. In fact life often works out differently than we plan, as God brings us to places we'd never imagined. I'm glad the Lord led you to write novels! :-)

Richard Mabry said...

His plan came as a complete surprise
(http://rmabry.blogspot.com/2006/06/how-did-i-turn-into-blogger.html).
But as things unfolded, His plan was better. No surprise there.
Thanks for your comment.

Gail H. said...

One of my favorite verses: Man plans his way but the Lord orders his steps.
His plans for us exceed anything we could ever hope or imagine.

Richard Mabry said...

Gail, great verse. Another one I hear a lot in our Wed night men's Bible study goes something like "God is on His throne, and He does as he pleases." We may not see the plan, but we know it's there. Thanks for your comment.

Patricia Bradley said...

After my husband passed away almost twenty years ago, I planned to write and hoped to eventually get published. God had another plan and right after that I went to work in the National abstinence program, co-wrote a curriculum and workbook, and then went back to writing fiction and five years later got a contract.

I never planned to work in the abstinence program, but I'm glad God had it in His plan.

Richard Mabry said...

Patricia, thanks for sharing that. Glad God had another plan for you to follow. Thanks for your comment.