Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Your Opinion, Please

 Some of you may not recall (or may not know) that my first non-medical book was The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse, written after the death of my first wife, Cynthia. This book has been out for a decade now, and I'm pleased that it continues to minister to those who have sustained a loss--not just spouses, but family members and friends, also.

Now I've been invited by the publisher to consider making changes to be incorporated in a second edition of this book. My initial reaction was that one of the things that made this book such a success was the fact that it was taken from journaling done shortly after Cynthia's death. When I tried to polish it up and make my emotions and decisions "prettier," it wasn't what I wanted. Only after I decided to make myself vulnerable and write what I felt and did at the time did the book begin to take its final shape.

Kay, the woman with whose love God has once more blessed me, agreed with me that the original book should stand, but perhaps I should add to it. Specifically, she suggested another chapter, one written from my current perspective (more than a decade after our marriage) dealing not just with the possibility of God's provision of another mate (this is covered at the end of the current book), but with the blessings and challenges of a blended family.

For those who haven't read the book and wish to see what the original content is, follow this link, click the "look inside" button, and read the table of contents. What do you think? Would the addition of a chapter about a blended family add to the usefulness of the book, or detract from it? I look forward to hearing from you.

And if you'd like a signed copy of The Tender Scar: Life After The Death Of A Spouse for yourself, a friend or relative, or your church library, leave a comment plus your email address. I'll choose one at random and send out the book. The winner will be notified in a week.

Tweet with a single click. "Should a book about the loss of a spouse include a chapter about a blended family?" Click here to tweet.

9 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

I think that would make a great chapter. It would show others that there is indeed life after the death of a spouse and that while you will never forget your first love, loving again is possible. I also think it will fit the format you have now.

Sally Shupe said...

I think a chapter about blended families would fit in well. I would love to receive a signed copy of The Tender Scar. Thanks so much for the chance!
sallyshupe1 [at] gmail [dot] com

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks. I appreciate your feedback, and will put your name into the drawing for a copy of The Tender Scar.

Janice Kreider said...

Adding a chapter is an excellent idea.

Gail H. said...

I like the idea as well. My husband already had a daughter when we married from a previous marriage. She was 7 when we married. Sadly she passed away in Feb. this year at age 41. We are awaiting autopsy results to find out what happened. Her husband found her when he got home from work. She had been sick a lot and on lots of medication.
Thank you for the chance to "Win" this book. I always donate Christian books to my church library after I read and review them.
tumcsec(at)gmail(dot)com

Richard Mabry said...

Gail, I'm sorry for your family's loss. When we marry again, we enter into the realm of blended family, which is a whole new world.
Thanks for your comment.

Kris M said...

I, too, think it would be a good addition. And I'd love to get a copy of The Tender Scar.

Melanie Backus said...

I think you should add a very special chapter to your wonderful book which would give hope for love after the loss of a spouse. From the deepest moment of despair to the warmest, happiest time, you can enlighten us all.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks for all your encouraging comments. I'll talk more with the publishers next week. And the email to the winner of a signed copy of The Tender Scar will go out sometime tomorrow.