Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Phone Calls and Politics

I'm writing this before so-called "Super Tuesday," so I can be a bit more dispassionate. Kay and I are dinosaurs of sorts--although each of us has a cell phone, we still have a land line at our home. Matter of fact, it's only been a few months since I got rid of our separate FAX line, as I reluctantly moved into the twenty-first century and realized that my super-duper, handy-dandy, multi-purpose printer can not only copy but also scan documents to be sent via email. I know, it hasn't been too many years since I stopped writing on yellow legal pads. As my hero, obsessive-compulsive detective Adrian Monk says, "I'm not against change. I just don't like to be around when it's happening."

Anyway, usually the calls we get via our land line have been from friends and families, plus the occasional wrong numbers and sporadic telephone solicitors. But in the weeks leading up to the election, the vast majority of calls have been political--surveys,  robocalls on behalf of various candidates, even neighbors calling to urge us to vote for people they like.

I know that a number of you have gone "cellular only" with your phones. For those who have done that, how have things gone since you made the switch? And for those, like us, who have kept their land lines, what are your reasons--inertia, a desire to be able to make and receive calls if the towers are down, what?

Let me know. And, in case anyone is interested, we voted absentee a couple of weeks ago. No politics involved in this post...except the calls that finally triggered action on my part.

5 comments:

Susan Johnson said...

We have kept our land line because we have had that number for 37 years and everybody knows it. My mother recently moved and had to give up the number she had all my life. It was strange and sad. She got another land line, though, because she can use that phone easier than she can use her cell phone.

Patricia Bradley said...

I still have my landline, partially because I still fax things. :-) Unfortunately, my number is similar to the courthouse # with my last digit being a 5 instead of the courthouse's 6.

You'd think that wouldn't cause a problem, and it probably wouldn't but for the fact the phone number on tickets given out is tiny and the last number on them looks for all the world like a 5. So I've put a message on my answering machine telling callers if they are looking for the courthouse to hang up and dial the number with a 6 instead of a 5. That has saved me a lot of time.

Richard Mabry said...

Susan and Patricia, thanks for your comments. I wish there were a way to answer robocalls and tell them not to call back, but the Do Not Call list is a joke.

Gail H. said...

We couldn't see paying for a land line when my husband and I both have cell phones. We can see where a call is coming from before we answer and if we dont recognize the number we don't answer and check it out later and block it if it's found to be a scam or sales call.
My mother does not have a cell phone but even if she did she would still need her land line for use with her emergency button she wears around her neck in case she falls or needs help.

Richard Mabry said...

Gail, I understand your desire to avoid paying two bills--cell phone and landline. We may be coming to that ourselves. Thanks for the comment.