Tuesday, March 08, 2016

Lessons From Golf On TV

Yesterday afternoon, as football season is over and baseball season is just getting started, I turned the TV to the golf tournament being held at Doral. Since my father and I used to join two friends for a week of golf at Doral years ago, I was familiar with the Blue Monster where the pro golfers were playing. If I have one claim to fame, it's that I once--and only once--got a par on the Blue Monster's #18. Of course, that was from the middle tees. If you've ever seen where the pro tees are on a golf course, it would make you cry because they're so far back.

Anyway, I watched as some of the best golfers in the world, time after time, hit the ball into one or more of the water hazards or sand traps with which the course is loaded. It was nice to see that even the pros make mistakes, but the lesson I learned was two-fold. First, these people, although at the top of their game, could make mistakes. And second, when they did, they simply dropped a ball where their errant shot entered the hazard or pulled out the right club, calculated what they had to do next, and tried to execute the shot. No whining. No, "I can't catch a break." Just put that mistake behind them and keep going.

Make of that what you will, but when I realized what was going on, I decided I was seeing a lesson played out--not about golf, but about life in general. How about you?

Tweet with a single click: "Lessons learned from golf on TV." Click here to tweet.

2 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

So agree. I was actually sitting here writing a blog on what you do with a bad review or rejection. :-)

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Patricia. I've already written the Friday post, which is on...Rejection. Great minds, and all that.