Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Going Back

The book title says You Can't Go Home Again, but in some respects you can. I lived in Duncanville, Texas, for many years. I practiced medicine there. I went to church there. Kay and I have many friends there. And, although we've moved a bit further north, tonight we have the opportunity to go back. I've been invited by the Friends of the Duncanville  Public Library to speak there tonight, and I was delighted to accept the invitation.

What do authors do when they address readers at a library or book club? Do people want to hear them read excerpts from their latest book? I don't think so. Actually, the two most common questions I've been asked are, "Where do you get your ideas?" and "How do you go about getting a book published?"

I'll probably address these sometime on one of my Friday blogs about the writing life. For now, let me just say that, if you're in the Duncanville area tonight, I hope you'll show up. There may be a few surprises for the people who are there.

Question for you. If you were face-to-face with a multi-published author, what question would you ask them?

Tweet with a single click: "What question do authors most often get from their audience?" Click here to tweet.

4 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

Those are the questions I get most, too. :-)

Melanie Backus said...

I am always interested in knowing, when your creative juices are flooding your soul, do you need absolute silence or can life go on around you and not disturb you at all?

Richard Mabry said...

Melanie, good question. I'm not sure I've ever experienced absolute silence around me...certainly not in this house. But when I'm writing, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. Some of my fellow authors like noise (like Coffetivity) or music (like Pandora). I only use the latter when one of the grandchildren is in the next room watching TV--they always seem to like the volume up--but most of the time it's just the usual noises around the house and in the neighborhood. Thanks for asking.

Melanie Backus said...

Thank you for your response, Dr. Mabry, and so very interesting. I am fascinating by a writer's mind. Thank you for sharing your talent.