Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Where You Least Expect Them

I have to admit it--we watch TV. Actually, we rarely watch programs as they're aired. Instead, we record them and generally zip through the commercials. (Shh. Don't tell the sponsors.) Mostly we either watch baseball or football (games involving our local teams) or sitcoms (often reruns of older ones). But one we watch on a regular basis is Blue Bloods.

In an episode entitled "The Job," the family patriarch, Henry Reagan, says this: "I see God's light in this family every day. And though I may not understand it, I trust in His plan for us all." Wow! You might expect to see that in a novel of Christian fiction (now sometimes called inspirational fiction). But would you anticipate hearing it on a network TV show? I love the job the writers of this show do in keeping up the interest of the viewers, but it's also a bonus when I see values like this portrayed.

Have you ever encountered deep truths where you least expect them? Do scenes like the one I described touch you? I'd like to hear.

Tweet with a single click. "You may find truths where you least expect them." Click here to tweet.

mage courtesy of MR LIGHTMAN at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Note: As we approach the launch of Fatal Trauma, I'm featured on a number of blogs with guest posts and interviews. Here's one of which I'm particularly proud. Hope you'll drop by, read it, and leave a comment.

2 comments:

shirley said...

I recently began watching "Blue Bloods" (streaming on Netflix) and I know the episode you're talking about! I actually whispered "wow" when I heard that line spoken. I agree, the values portrayed here are exciting to see and something that is sorely lacking in other shows (other media).

Richard Mabry said...

Shirley, Kay and I have watched that episode at least three times (thanks to video recording), and each time we see that scene we look at each other and mouth, "Wow." Thanks for your comment.