Tuesday, May 05, 2015

What Ever Happened To "You're Welcome"?

I may be the last of a dying generation, but each time I thank someone, whether a person who holds the door for me or a server at a restaurant, I sort of expect to hear, "You're welcome." But I don't.

I hear, "No problem." Or "Yeah." Or sometimes nothing at all. I don't consider the act of doing something polite to be a problem, so in my opinion, the response of "No problem" is sort of inappropriate. And "Yeah," or similar responses just don't seem to be an acknowledgement.

What about you? Do you think "You're welcome" is outmoded? Is "No problem" the accepted response now to a thanks? Am I just showing my age? Leave a comment to let me know. If it hurts my feelings, I can just answer with "No problem."

Tweet with a single click: "Is 'No problem' a proper response to a thanks?" Click here to tweet.

NOTE: Some of you have asked about a preview of my forthcoming novel, Fatal Trauma. You can read it here, and pre-order it from your favorite bookseller by clicking here.

4 comments:

shirley said...

It shouldn't be outmoded. I tend to say "it was my pleasure" when someone thanks me. It still isn't 'you're welcome'. To blow off a "thank you" with 'yeah' is kind of rude. 'No problem' almost falls into that rude area too but not quite. When I say "thank you" I usually get 'no problem' but I also get 'you're welcome'. Not extinct yet, but you're right to wonder.

Patricia Bradley said...

Goodness. I think I still say "you're welcome", although I might say "it was my pleasure" sometimes. i do wonder how we got off saying "no problem" instead of "you're welcome".

Richard Mabry said...

Shirley and Patricia, thanks for your comments...and for letting me know I'm not the only one who misses "you're welcome."

sarah lee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.