Tuesday, March 17, 2015

St Patrick's Day

Not sure about how they do it where you live, but in the Dallas area St. Patrick's Day is celebrated on the Saturday closest to March 17 by a huge parade (I mean huuuuge). There's a good bit of alcohol consumed, lots of food and games, and inhibitions seem to be thrown to the wind. This past Saturday was no exception.

Originally, the day was set aside to commemorate Saint Patrick and the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, as well as celebrating the culture and heritage of the Irish in general. I won't get into the green vs. orange (Catholic vs. Protestant) thing, except to say that wearing green on this day is traditional to recognize the proud traditions of the Irish. Since my great grandmother's name was Tinney O'Quinn, I'm happy to acknowledge my Irish heritage...even if I don't celebrate the day with alcohol.

Today I'm guest blogging with writer Chris Henderson. I hope you'll click here to read that interview.

Now to unfinished business: A week ago I suggested that readers of this blog try their hand at writing a clerihew. For those too lazy to click the link, I'll remind you that a clerihew is a whimsical four-line poem, the first line of which includes the name of a person.

I had three responses! In one, Linda laughed (hopefully with me, not at my own clerihew), Patricia joined in (but forgot to include her name in the first line), and Ben (whose comment showed up in my 'in' box but never made it to the blog) wrote a true clerihew, tortured though it might be : ).

I guess Ben is the winner, and I'll contact him about the prize. Meanwhile, I hope to see you back here Friday, when we talk more about the writing life and I answer a reader question.

No comments: