Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Expectations

Kay and I have enjoyed the time we spent at places like Vail, Colorado (pictured at the left). As memory serves, no one was complaining about snow when we were in Vail or Aspen or Whistler, Canada. Why was it such a big deal when that kind of weather hit the Dallas area?

The answer, I guess, lies in our expectations. When we went to a resort area like those I've named, we knew what to expect. More important, the people there knew what to expect. The cold weather and snow were not only normal conditions, their very presence made possible such activities as skiing and snowmobiling. Whereas, when the weather changed from mild and sunny to cold and threatening here in North Texas, one would think we were in for a two-week siege if you judged by the lines and bare shelves at grocery and hardware stores.

Well, as I write this the weather people are predicting seventy degrees for the day it's due to post, but when I look out the window of my office I see snow and ice. I guess it's true. If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a minute. And probably by this summer, I'll be complaining about the heat.

NOTE: Some of you may have remember Frank Peretti, author of numerous works of Christian fiction, including This Present Darkness. Frank is back, and I have his advice for writers and a link to his latest work here on Friday. Hope you'll come back to read it.

4 comments:

susanwalkergirl said...

Hi Richard,

My husband and recently moved here to the Dallas area and one of the attractions was being able to experience four seasons.

It's been since I was about 13 years old that I've lived some place where it snowed. For me...it's a treat. I'm very nervous about driving on ice...so I tend to stay at home on freezing rain days.

Now when things heat up and are humid...I'll be wilting, but my hubby will be in his glory. He loves the heat.

Thanks for the link on Frank Peretti...I look forward to seeing his newest book.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks. Looks like you'll have some sleet to enjoy tomorrow. I'll see you back here on Friday.

Patricia Bradley said...

I so hope we don't get the predicted ice and snow tonight! What you said about Texas weather is the same thing I say about Mississippi weather. :-)
I'll be back for Frank!

Richard Mabry said...

Patricia, freezing rain has already started. If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait a minute and it'll change. See you Friday.