Friday, October 31, 2014

Writing: Endorsements

I'm often asked this question. How does an author get endorsers? We've all seen (although sometimes have ignored) those blurbs on the front and back covers of books. Where do they come from? And what do they mean?

Do endorsers even read the books about which they write a sentence or two to aid in marketing? Speaking for me, I do--although there are others who simply skim and I've heard of people who don't even bother to read a book before endorsing it.

My endorsers are taken from the group of authors I've met during my time as a writer. I didn't seek their friendship for this reason, but that's the source I seem to tap when it comes time for a blurb for my books. I generally ask three or four, figuring that one of them may be too busy to read the book. And I always ask them to 'read the advance copy, in view of an endorsement.' I never flat out ask for their approval, but thus far I've always gotten it.

As for the endorsements I give, my rule of thumb (learned from a colleague long before I was known enough to be asked for endorsements) is that I'll read a book in view of an endorsement if 1) it's in the genre with which I'm familiar, 2) I know or know of the author, and 3) I have time. Some people give endorsements like people on a float throwing Mardi Gras beads. Others just don't do it at all.

Do endorsements make a difference to you? Have you ever bought a book because a favorite author endorsed it? And, if so, were you ever disappointed? Leave a comment--I'd like to know.

(picture via FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

TWEET WITH A SINGLE CLICK: "How do writers get endorsements for their books?" Click here to tweet.

No comments: