Tuesday, August 19, 2014

If A Tree Falls In The Forest...

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one present to hear it, does it really make a sound? I'll leave you to wrestle with that problem in metaphysics. I have a different question for you. If a person reads scenes from a book, does it conjure up images in his/her mind?

When I was growing up, books were fantastic portals to take us places we could only imagine. I think Treasure Island was one of the first to act as a magic carpet for me, transporting me to a land populated by pirates and plunder.

We had no television until I was in my early teens. (Yes, you read it correctly. I'm older than dirt, and my childhood took place when the earth's crust was still cooling). I remember our radio bringing me programs like Let's Pretend and Captain Midnight. I listened, along with my parents (when they weren't busy) to shows like I Love A Mystery and Grand Central Station.

The point I'm making is that I supplied my own images, either when reading or listening to radio. Now TV, movies, and even video games supply the visuals for us. So, what do you think? Is that good or bad? Is the current generation bereft of imagination because it's all done for them? I'd love for you to chime in with comments.

(picture via freedigitalphotos.net)

Tweet about this post: Have TV and video games robbed us of our ability to visualize images from books and radio? (click this link to tweet).

3 comments:

Claudia Davis said...

It may be that the younger generation has less imagination. I've been an avid reader since I learned to read. My children are readers too. Even when it comes to play, today's kids play already scripted electronic games; whereas we played games outside that came straight out of our imagination!

Patricia Bradley said...

My family did get a TV before I was a teenager, but I rarely watched it--I was too busy playing cops and robbers and cowboys and Indians outside. Only time will tell if this generation will have the imagination of past generations.

Richard Mabry said...

Claudia and Pat--this may be one reason there are fewer people reading books nowadays. Time will tell. Thanks for your comments.