Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Falling Short

The route of my daily walk takes me by the green of a nearby golf course. When I see golfers about to hit their second shot, one where they usually aim for the green, I stop to watch. In a purely unscientific survey, I've discovered that the majority of these golfers leave the ball short. They overestimated their capability.

Maybe they should have taken one club more. Perhaps they should have chosen a safe route and aimed short of the green, trusting that their next shot would be close to the pin. I don't know why it happened. But it did.

This isn't the lead-in for a sermon. It's not a parable, nor even a metaphor. It's just an observation. I'll leave it to you to take it further. Why do you think this happens? Does the story prove a point? Or is it just a random observation? What do you say?


2 comments:

Patricia Bradley said...

Okay...I was hoping someone would pontificate on your question, but since no one has I'll give it a shot. :-) Speaking from experience--no not on the golf course, but in almost everything else, I am over confident and most of the time I accomplish what I set out to. It would be the same way with golf. If I played, I would "think" I played well and would attempt shots anyone else would know I couldn't make. And sometimes, the shot would be good, and that would make me the next time, do the same thing. :-)

Richard Mabry said...

Pat, from childhood, when most of us suffered from the "our eyes are bigger than our stomachs" syndrome to high school when we thought, "there's no need to study for that test," most of us are prone to overestimate our abilities. However, when we do just that and it works, we're pleased with the results. And that one time out of ten sometimes makes us do the same thing again. It may be a good thing, it may be bad. At least, that's my take on it.
Thanks for the comment.