Tuesday, June 03, 2014

The More Things Change...


The French said it this way: plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. For those of you not fluent in that language, that's the origin of a phrase with which we're all familiar: The more things change, the more they remain the same. 

I was reminded of this when a Yahoo news segment on my home page had a long article about a new type of tablet, just approved by the FDA for treating certain types of allergy. These had been in the works for quite a while, but lest everyone run to their doctor for a prescription, I'll warn you that these sublingual tablets are for people with major allergies to one antigen, must be used under physician supervision, and don't always work.

But almost fifty years ago, when I first began to study allergy treatment for my patients, I learned about compounding of sublingual (under the tongue) drops that offered good results for selected allergy patients. Maybe sublingual tablets will eventually be available to treat patients with allergy to multiple antigens. But when they are, they will have their roots in the observations of Dr. French Hansel, published in 1936. They won't be new. They'll be improved.

The Bible says there's nothing new under the sun, and the longer I live, the more I believe it.

Can you think of "new and improved" things that were derived from something going back years or even decades? Let us know.


No comments: