Thursday, April 03, 2014

CHRISTIAN FICTION SCAVENGER HUNT

Welcome to the multi-author Christian fiction scavenger hunt. The hunt officially begins at noon Mountain Time on Friday, April 4. (The post is up before then so the hostess can check links). The end stop is robinleehatcher.com and is over at midnight Mountain Time on Sunday, April 6.

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS: You have all weekend to visit the sites and collect each clue, which is IN RED at the end of each stop. International entries are accepted. First prize is a Kindle Fire HDX and $100 gift certificate. Two runners up will each receive copies of all 32 of our books.

We have prepared a page with direct links to each author's post in case a site goes down or a link gets broken. We'll be working on getting all of the links prior to the start of the hunt, but sometimes there are still issues even after the hunt starts, so make a note of the URL for the Participating Authors & Stops page so you can check back and be able to complete the hunt.


NEXT UP, AUTHOR CARA PUTMAN:  Cara Putman is an award-winning author of 17 novels, homeschooling momma to four, university lecturer in business law, and lawyer. She loves to connect with readers at her website, on Facebook, and twitter (@cara_putman). I got acquainted with Cara through the American Christian Fiction Writers where I had the privilege of serving with her. Her novel, Shadowed By Grace, involves the activities that gave rise to the motion picture, Monuments Men. And now, here's Cara:

As any author will tell you, no matter how much we love a scene, sometimes they have to be cut. The following is part of the first one I wrote for Scott Lindstrom, the hero. I love the personality and fortitude he demonstrates. However, the more I researched, the more I realized...the Monuments Men weren’t established in Italy in February 1944. It just wouldn’t have been possible for him to be there. Yet, arguments like this raged before the Allies bombed Monte Cassino. Historians continue to debate whether it was justified. I tried to capture both sides in this scene.
February 1944
“You can’t bomb Monte Cassino.”
Scott strode to the front of the room, the words fresh on his lips. Maybe he’d left all his common sense in Washington. No, he’d just decided to fight for the things that mattered since Elaine had left him at the New York City pier. He marched deeper into a debate best left to the generals. One more moment in the middle of a war that left Scott praying for the courage to voice what no one in the crowded war room wanted to say or hear. This exemplified why he’d abandoned everything he’d built in Washington, D.C., for a war zone.
“Excuse me, soldier. Did I hear you correctly?” The one star looked at him, jaw firm and unyielding.
“That monastery has stood since Saint Benedict first moved there in 528 A.D.” Scott swallowed, but firmed his stance. This was too important to waver, even if these exact types of actions were what had caused his fiancée to hand back the ring when he enlisted. She’d called it foolhardy. He called it committed. What else could he do? Chase her when the Army said move?
“Do you understand how rich the history is to such a place? How irreplaceable if destroyed?”
“My men can’t be replaced either.” The man chewed his cigar at a furious tempo.
“This abbey has already been rebuilt three times.”

“They’ll rebuild again.” The man leaned forward on beefy forearms, his presence a clear indication of why he’d risen in rank. He wore authority like a natural garment. “I won’t cause my men’s deaths over a pile of historic stones.”
“You can’t be serious.” Scott paced as his frustration escaped his slim hold. How could he get them to understand this pile of stones was an ancient monastery of immeasurable worth? Whatever a person’s religious convictions, one couldn’t ignore the rich history it had experienced in no small part due to its proximity to Rome, the seat of the Catholic Church.
“Lindstrom, have a seat.” The British voice was clipped and insistent.

If you’d like to read more of this scene and others that were cut, go here. I hope you enjoy reading them and some of the material behind the scenes on why I didn’t include them in the final book. And here's a brief video about the book.

)

IF YOU WANT TO BUY THIS BOOK: You can purchase Shadowed By Grace at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Christian Books, or your favorite independent bookseller.

AND THE SCAVENGER HUNT SKINNY: Thanks for stopping by my blog--I hope you'll come back again. Before moving on to the next stop, Cara's own site,  to read what her guest has to say and pick up another clue, be sure to write down this Stop #7 clue: "WHAT BOOKS." And thanks for participating in the Christian fiction scavenger hunt.

FINALLY, A LITTLE EXTRA: Win a signed copy of one of my books (your choice). Sorry, but this one is limited to the US. Check this blog on Tuesday, April 7, for the name of the winner. Here's the link to enter. (NOTE: DUE TO A GLITCH WITH MY DESIGN AND RAFFLECOPTER THIS ONE ENDED A DAY EARLY. SORRY.)

a Rafflecopter giveaway

13 comments:

Tina at Mommynificent.com said...

I'm really looking forward to reading your books! I really enjoyed the prequel to your book shared on the stop before yours. Thanks for being a part of the scavenger hunt. I love online scavenger hunts - totally brings out the kid in me!

I don't know if you ever participate in linky parties, but if you are ever so inclined, I'd love for you to join our book-loving community at Booknificent Thursdays on Mommynificent.com. We gather every Thursday and share posts about books we've been reading or writing and how books are impacting our lives. We'd love to have you join us anytime!

Blessings,
Tina

Linda Marie Finn said...

Ok Richard your my post for today !
Blessings
Linda Finn
Faithful Acres Books
www.faithfulacres.net

Richard Mabry said...

Tina, thanks for your invitation. I'll keep it in mind.

Linda, I appreciate your not only mentioning Critical Condition but digging into my website--http://rmabry.com--to post background info as well.

Good luck to both you ladies in the Scavenger Hunt, and in my own little giveaway.

Beth Rumbaugh said...

I loved you Code Blue, but I could not tweet about you because it was more than 140 characters and I don't really know how to tweet, just copy and paste URL and click on tweet.

Richard Mabry said...

Beth, that's how I learned all I know about using the Internet--trial and error. Thanks for stopping by, and good luck.

Lisa Medeiros said...

I loved your book Stresstest! :) I work as a nurse and love to read medical books- love them even more when they are accurate and filled with God's message :)

sam said...

I'm an RN and have worked in ICU/CCU for several years. I really enjoy medical suspense/romance. Thanks for the contest! sm
wileygreen1(at)yahoo(dot)com

Richard Mabry said...

Lisa and Sam--great compliments when medical personnel like my writing. Thanks so much.

shirley said...

I came back to your page to see if I remembered the title of your book (I did) and was reading through the comments and realized I didn't comment (I missed a couple more of the authors!!) Any way, it was a pleasure "meeting you" and so enjoyed the Scavenger Hunt. I've had such fun with so thank you for being a part of it!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Shirley. Glad we could connect, and happy you chose to participate. Good luck.

Rachelle Williams said...

Thanks for being a part of the giveaway Dr. Mabry and Mrs. Putnam!
I had no idea that Monuments Men was based on a true events or that it was a topic covered in Christian Fiction…I'll definitely have to add this book to my TBR pile.

Marianne Barkman said...

not sure why your contest is closed while all others are telling me 3 hours yet?

Richard Mabry said...

Marianne, My contest closed early because I couldn't tell the difference between 12 PM and 12 AM when setting it up. : ) Seriously, as I pointed out at the end of this blog post, I goofed. Sorry. Good luck with the main contest, which is open until later.