Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Dark Clouds of Getting Older

Kay and I attended a 155th Birthday Party over the weekend. I repeat, a 155th Birthday Party. My good friend and golf partner, Jerry, will be 80 soon, and his wife, Janie, will be 75. They decided that, rather than ignoring the occasion, they'd celebrate it. And, along with a bunch of their friends, that's exactly what they did.

I don't like the idea of getting old. None of us do. Nevertheless, I am doing just that--along with everyone else. It happens. But, as I'm fond of saying when people ask how I'm doing, "I'm able to dress myself and take nourishment." There are some folks who can't make that statement. So I feel blessed.

What's your take on getting older? Are you young enough that you don't worry about it? Is there a "magic age" when you think you might begin to be concerned? Are you at the stage where you consider every new day a blessing? Have you even thought about it? Well, now maybe you will. Let me know.

Blatant Commercial: If you're stumped for a Christmas gift, consider a book, personalized to the recipient. If you want a signed bookplate to insert in any of my books, send me an email at Dr R L Mabry at yahoo dot com with the name of one of my books in the subject line (to avoid the spam filter. Include your snail mail address, the name of the person receiving the book(s) and how many bookplates you need. My books (and those of many other authors) are available from your favorite major online and brick-and-mortar bookstores.

No comments: