Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Looking Inside

I went shopping with Kay the other day. She bought eggs, and the first thing she did was lift the lid of the carton to look inside and make sure the eggs were intact. I've seen this behavior since I was old enough to accompany my mother or grandmother to the grocery, and it's what I do, as well. You can't tell what's inside the carton unless you lift the lid.

As a writer, I've learned a bit about crafting back cover copy. It's necessary to give a preview of what's inside to assure the buyer the product is worthwhile. But all of us present "back cover copy" to the world every day. How? By our actions.

When I buy eggs, I open the carton and look inside. When I buy a book, I read the back cover copy, then look inside and scan through a few pages. What do you do to show those around you what's inside? More important, what do they find when they get past the outer wrappings?

(picture via freedigitalphotos.net)

1 comment:

john smith said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.