Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Where Do We Go From Here?

 By the time this posts, I will have received the editorial letter for my book, Critical Condition, which means I'm going to be busy editing and revising for the next little bit. And that set me to thinking about how I should apportion my time.

Some time ago I asked the readers of this blog to let me know what they wanted to read. At that time, the respondents indicated they didn't really want to read more author interviews, and certainly no more book reviews. What they were interested in fell into two major categories: life in general and the writing life specifically. Thus, I've devoted Tuesday to "stuff" and Friday to various aspects of the publishing industry.

Now I think it's time to take another look at my blog. In addition to composing a couple of posts per week to share with you each week, I am reasonably active on Twitter (RichardMabry), and have two pages on Facebook--my personal one (RichardMabry) and my author page (rmabrybooks). I guess it's sort of like the old question of a tree falling in the forest if there's no one there to hear it. If a blog is posted but no one reads it, does it really matter. Am I spinning my wheels? You tell me.

Actually, I know that a couple of hundred of you do indeed read these scribblings each week. (I track the numbers). Thanks to all my loyal readers for dropping by, even if you don't leave comments. But I'd really appreciate your input as to what you'd like to see in the future.

7 comments:

Jackie Smith said...

I enjoy reading your blogs.....I usually lurk though (due to unable to sit long at computer...medical problem). I love your books and try to read all of them.
I don't do Facebook, Twitter, so I hope you will continue your blogs.....I enjoy anything you choose to write about.
Thanks!
Jackie.smith[at]dishmail[dot]net

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Jackie. Appreciate that.

Jay Lode said...

I too enjoy reading your blog; something I do fairly regularly.
I appreciate hearing your thoughts on a variety of topics...your gentle wisdom comes through and I feel like I have the opportunity to learn from a wise grandpa (though I think my parents, if they were still alive, are older than you. Hope you don't mind the grandpa reference ;)
It's quite a contrast to all the noise found int the blog-o-sphere!

Jay Lode said...

PS...This is actually Theresa, I forgot to log out of my husband's account.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Theresa. And we can blame the "grandpa" reference on Jay, if you'd like, although I actually am a grandfather (two girls, two boys). And I'll try to keep dispensing some grandfatherly wisdom at this address.

Steve Hooley said...

Richard,
I, too, enjoy your blogs, even though I haven't left comments. I've just started following it. As the person who wrote you, half way through STRESS TEST, and commented on how you kept getting the protagonist into deeper and deeper trouble, I did mean that as a compliment. Having finished the book, I would also say it certainly keeps the reader turning the pages. I loved the book.
As to this blog, I hope you will continue it. I don't follow face book or twitter.
And I understand why you want feed back. We all want to know someone is listening; we want to be appreciated. Keep up the great work.
Subjects I would be interested in hearing about: Your thoughts on establishing a platform (as a writer), use of social media, finding the balance between use of social media and time for writing, decisions in setting up a website for writers, choices and decisions about establishing a blog.
Best wishes for your work in progress.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Steve. I think I have Friday's post already set (because I have a golf game that day), but you can look for some of the subjects you listed on the Friday "writing life" posts in the future.
Appreciate your feedback, and glad you enjoyed Stress Test.