Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Making Choices

One of my favorite TV shows is The Big Bang Theory. As we've watched it over the past several years, Kay and I have remarked that the producers have done a great job of assembling an excellent ensemble cast. No matter that nerd-in-chief Sheldon is a staunch proponent of creation via the Big Bang. I have my own ideas of how the earth came into being, and let's just say that I see the hand of a Creator in the whole thing. But that's not a major part of the show's plot. So we made a choice to watch and enjoy it.

On the other hand, we stopped watching some other shows long ago, deciding that they'd descended to depths with which we're not comfortable. We took Two and a Half men off our regular TV-watching list even before Charlie Sheen's off-screen antics ramped up to ridiculous levels. And Ashton Kucher didn't do much to redeem the show. Likewise, with some regret, we stopped watching How I Met Your Mother for pretty much the same reasons--fewer laughs and more sex.

There are other shows we enjoy--Blue Bloods, Shark Tank, and the like--but more and more I find that I agree with Groucho Marx, who said that he found TV quite educational. Every time someone turned on the set, he left the room and found a book to read.

What about you? I'd love to hear your opinions on this?

(photo via freedigitalphoto.net)

No comments: