Friday, February 01, 2013

Writing: Editing The Printed Word

I know that some readers believe that writers produce beautiful copy that goes directly to print without editing, but believe me, that's not the case. The writer goes through several drafts (I average at least three), and sometimes I even change the story line and have to start over. After I produce a final manuscript, the editor reads it and gives "notes." (That's a nice way of saying they provide suggestions that may range from minor tweaking to major surgery). That requires more work by the writer. Then the copy editor sends back more notes. And finally, the galley proof must be proof-read (by the author and at least one proof-reader). All this before the final printed book sees the light of day.
I'm about to plunge into copy edits for my next book, Heart Failure, while writing the one to follow (working title, Critical Condition). A writer's work is never done. But it's a nice problem.

Do you have any questions about the writing process? Anything you've always wanted to ask but never had the chance? Bring it on. I'd love to hear.

No comments: