Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Chemically Enhanced...Or Not?

Is it my imagination, or are more and more folks popping pills, getting shots, looking for performance improvement or attitude adjustment from a bottle or something you smoke or inject?

Locally, two of our Dallas Cowboy players have been in the news recently, one now out on bond with a charge of intoxication manslaughter and the other DUI. This, despite both NFL and team programs that provide rides for them if they feel they're too impaired to drive (assuming they don't have any money to call a cab).

It's all around us. The Lance Armstrong "doping scandal" was headline news for much too long. Almost weekly, sports figures are being implicated in the use of banned performance enhancing drugs. And if you don't believe alcohol is a drug, look at the booking photos of some celebrities arrested for public drunkenness or DUI.

Maybe it's my age talking, but it seems that I grew up in a simpler time. Now the cry is faster, better, further, richer...and if we can't make it on our own, there might be a pill or shot or liquid to help.

What's your opinion about what's going on in our society? I'd love to know.

NOTE: For those of you who can't get enough of my wit and wisdom, I'm also posting today on the ACFW blog about "The End Of The (Publishing) World." Hope you'll drop by and comment.

(picture via freedigitalphotos.net)

3 comments:

Theresa Lode said...

If you haven't seen Dr. Brene Brown's TED talk or read her book, she talks about how we're the most medicated people. Ever.

So much stuff going on in the world...the pace of life, breakdown of relationships, the march of progress and technology...these really are unprecedented times we live in.

I know for me, I'm learning "less is more" when it comes to stress management. Or in the words of Thoreau, Simplify, simplify, simplfy!

Richard Mabry said...

Therese, You're right. Another way to put it is, "The world is too much with us, late and soon."
Thanks for the comment.

S. Kim Henson said...

I'm into slowing down, simplifying and downsizing. I feel like I can breathe easier just typing those words.