Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Christmas Music

I may be the last person on the planet to discover it, but the other day I found that our satellite TV package included a channel that plays Christmas songs from early AM to late PM. "Great," I thought, and it was. But I've certainly heard some Christmas songs that were unfamiliar to me. (By the way, if you have DirectTV, you can try channel 801 and see what you think).

When I think of Christmas songs, I think of carols--my favorite is Silent Night, not only because it's beautiful but also because I learned in college to sing it in German. ("Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht...") I love most of the standard carols. But recently I heard Frank Sinatra, with choral accompaniment, do a lovely song called Bells of Christmas, set to the tune known as Greensleeves. I heard a song called I Believe In Father Christmas that still has me scratching my head about whether it carries a deep message or sacreligious.

What are your favorite Christmas songs? And do you find yourself singing them, even though it may be sunny outside (as it is here in Texas)? Let me know. And Merry Christmas.

(photo via freedigitalphotos.net)

3 comments:

S. Kim Henson said...

My absolute favorite is "Mary, Did You Know?" Makes me cry every time I hear it. Warm fuzzies at Christmas!

Anonymous said...

O Holy Night has been my favorite since I was a child. Having been a Christmas Caroler semi-professionally, I am ready to start singing them in late August, but most of my co-workers object. But the moment they are on the radio, I am a constant caroling machine! The weather is unimportant, as I live in Southern California and the weather is never "Christmas-y." I love the time of Advent and Christmas. If I'm feeling low, I can play some carols on my I-pod and I feel better immediately. Sorry to ramble on like this, but Christmas and the music associated with it make me extremely happy!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks for your comments. I love both of those songs.