Friday, November 09, 2012

Writing: Let's Stop Fighting

I was going to write about this subject anyway, but last week I read an excellent post on the blog of the International Thriller Writers wherein Michelle Gagnon made an appeal for an end to the bickering between self-published and traditionally published authors. So, rather than repeating what Michelle said, let me just refer you to that post.

What's my take on the situation? I couldn't agree more with what she said. Some of the comments, including an excellent one from James Scott Bell, are worthy of reading, so don't stop at the end of the post.

If you like, pop back here and leave some comments of your own. Are you as tired of the war between the two camps as you were tired of the campaign ads and rhetoric just past? Feel free to sound off.

(photo via FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

2 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

She makes some very good comments, and I don't think there should be bickering about which road an author takes simply because it's one or the other.

Since I'm not an author but a reader/reviewer, I think I'm hopefully fairly neutral in this "debate" and sadly, the vast majority of self-pub books I've read are sub-standard. It's all I can do not to pick up a red pen while I'm reading.

But bickering about it doesn't accomplish anything constructive.

Richard Mabry said...

Linda, I agree that there has been much more heat than light in the "war between the paths of publishing." The reading--and buying--public will weed out the substandard books, whether traditionally or self published.