Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Shopping and "Black Friday"

According to Wikipedia, the name, "Black Friday," originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. Use of the term started before 1961 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black".

I've always thought Black Friday was a peculiar phenomenon. When our local news channel showed people lining up outside Best Buy five days before the event, the anchor said, "I like a flat screen TV as well as the next person, but..." He didn't have to finish the sentence, at least, not for me.

So, did you participate in the Black Friday shopping? Do you have your Christmas shopping done? Have you even started?

(photo via freedigitalphotos.net)

5 comments:

Anne Mateer said...

No, I haven't started Christmas shopping! I guess I should think about that soon! :)

I actually did venture out on Black Friday, but later in the day and only because my 21 year old daughter, home from college, asked me to go with her to look for some clothes she needed. You just don't turn down invitations like that no matter how crazy the day!

Hope you and your family had a lovely Thanksgiving, Doc!

Krista Phillips said...

Black Friday is a tradition in our house!! I remember the first time when I was a youngish teen that we were headed to the crazy busy mall and drove by best buy to see the line all the way around the outside of the store. We were BAFFLED. Before then, it seemed it was just a really busy shopping day because people liked to shop that next day since most were off work. I LOVE shopping black friday... I usually don't wait in those crazy lines for hours like others do, but I'm more than a little irritated at them opening the night before, or even at midnight. it was one thing to get up at 4 or 5 in the morning to start shopping... a WHOLE different thing to start the night before.

Richard Mabry said...

Anne, I don't blame you. Those are, indeed, invitations you have to accept or regret later.
Krista, glad to see that even dyed-in-the-wool Black Friday shoppers are a bit concerned about the way retailers keep moving the start time back.
I have to confess that Kay did shop for some grandchildren gifts--but she didn't stand in line all night to do it.

Elle said...

I prefer to shop online from home rather than fight crowds. Even so, I didn't find anything that particularly thrilled me this year.
As far as my Christmas shopping: I am an avid procrastinator. I usually do all my Christmas shopping the 2 weeks before. It is not because I plan it that way, but I tend to let holidays sneak up on me.

Richard Mabry said...

Elle, I'm with you about fighting crowds. Kay, on the other hand, says she likes to see the merchandise before buying it.
As for putting things off, as the old saying goes, "I was going to procrastinate, but decided to wait until tomorrow to do it."
Thanks for your comment.