Tuesday, November 13, 2012

One Week After...

Following the election, I've listened to a number of pundits, read the pronouncements of many more, but nothing has made more sense to me than the words of a pastor (not my own) spoken during a service I attended one day after the election.

In effect, he said that just because what we wanted to happen didn't take place doesn't mean it wasn't God's will. In my own life, I know that God can use even the most catastrophic event for His own purposes. Dr. Steve Farrar, who teaches the men's Bible study at our church, continually quotes this passage: "Our God is in the Heavens, and He does as He pleases." And what He pleases isn't always what we want.

I've just finished proof-reading the galleys for my next novel, Stress Test, and came upon these words, spoken by a character falsely accused of a crime. I think they're just as applicable to the citizens of our nation today.

"God, I could pray for deliverance, but it’s either going to happen or it isn’t, and whichever way it goes, You’ve already planned it out. So what I really need is patience to get through, and wisdom to do the right thing."

What's your reaction to where we find our nation today?

(photo from freedigitalphotos.net)

4 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Although I'm definitely not happy about it, I'm not nearly as panicked as I would have been before studying Daniel and Isaiah a few years ago. I love Daniel 2:21 - "He deposes kings and raises up others" - as well as Isaiah 45 where God talks about anointing Cyrus to fulfill His purpose even though Cyrus did not acknowledge Him. God absolutely is still in control and will accomplish His purpose. No president, terrorist group, or any other faction can do anything more than He allows.

Having said that, I think Christians need to "eat their Wheaties." A lot of folks have been pretty lackadaisical about what it really means to be a Christian; I think the wheat is going to be separated from the chaff in the days to come.

Richard Mabry said...

Linda, a friend and seminary professor, Dr Steve Farrar, is fond of reminding us that the Bible doesn't say, "If we have trouble..." It says "When..." I'll pray for wisdom and discernment--for me and for all our leaders.
Thanks, as always, for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Richard,
Thank you very much for this post. The election is over,
but so many of my Facebook Christian friends continue to have the same hate they had before the election. Hope you will pray with me for their healing.
Blessings,
Earleen Matthews

Richard Mabry said...

Earlene, I'm concerned about our country, but take comfort in the knowledge that God is in control. Like the protagonist of my next novel, I need to pray for patience and wisdom. God will take care of the rest.
Thanks so much for your comment. Come back often.