Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Roller Coaster Of Writing

Tuesday is normally my day to post about "stuff," with Friday reserved for tidbits about the writing life. But I'm just back from an author retreat held by the agency representing me (Books & Such), and after spending three days talking about writing, its challenges and rewards, that's on my mind. So when I saw this cartoon on Writer Unboxed, I had to ask the artist for permission to reprint it, and she graciously consented.

So, courtesy of Debbie Ohi, here's the writer's life in a nutshell. And if you don't think this is true, ask any writer, whether unpublished or multipublished.
I don't think this attitude is confined to writers, though. I'd love to know your reactions and applications for this.


(roller coaster photo via freedigitalphotos.net)

4 comments:

Jan Cline said...

Great cartoon. I'm in the midst of contemplating how I'm going to market the book I've just self-published. It will be in my hands soon and I find myself either looking too far into the future or being short sighted about the project. I can so relate to the cartoon....thanks for sharing.

Susan Codone said...

Nice post, Dr. Mabry. Life is too short to wait on each event at a time. Thanks for the reminder.

Richard Mabry said...

Jan and Susan--thanks for stopping by, and for your comments. I think Debbie said it well for all of us. Glad you enjoyed it.

S. Kim Henson said...

Sigh ... if only I could quit saying "if only." : ) I can so relate. Thanks for the giggles.