Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Waiting To Be Rescued

There's a story I love to tell, about a man clinging to a tree while the raging river swirled around him. A man on dry land yells across, "Let me throw you a rope. I'll pull you to safety." The first man shakes his head and calls, "God will rescue me."

Then a boater braves the torrent and calls, "Hop in. I'll take you to safety." The man shakes his head. "God will rescue me."

The "whop-whop" of helicopter blades makes the man look up. The side door of the 'copter opens and someone yells, "I'll drop a rope ladder. Climb up. I'll fly you to safety." The man repeats, "God will rescue me."

Then he loses his grip and drowns. At the gates of Heaven, he asks, "Why didn't you rescue me?" And a voice booms out, "What more did you want? I sent a rope, a boat, and a helicopter."

I sometimes think we're like that man. We want to be rescued from our current predicament, but we'd prefer not to have to do anything ourselves. There's a lot of truth in the old saying, "God helps the sailor, but he still has to row."

I've been in situations where I didn't want to row to get out of them, but that's the way our world is set up. I depend on God--depend on Him daily--but I also know that he expects me to use my best judgment and exert my best efforts. And if I do that, He's always come through.

Any situations in your life where you've been pulled from the flood? Did you have to row a bit yourself? I'd love to hear your comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I often ask that God save me from myself. It's worked. None of my stupid impulsive acts have managed to get myself killed yet.