Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Learning By Experience

When we're at the beach and I see the red warning flags flying, I always look out to see how many people are ignoring them and taking to the water. And there are always some. That's human nature, I supposed.

We see signs saying, "Wet paint. Do not touch." So what do we do? Yep--almost every time. We tell children the stove is hot--don't touch it. But they're going to do it, at some point. That's the way we learn sometimes. There are times when only discomfort completes the lesson we're being taught.

I've seen signs and T-shirts this past week that all bear essentially the same message: Don't text and drive. And driving home from the event where I encountered the message, what do I see? Yep, people texting while driving. It's a campaign that's gaining traction, but thus far I'm afraid the only way people will get the message is to experience the problems that can come from ignoring it.

They say that experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake when you make it again. And maybe that's the only way we learn. What do you think?

(photo courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

No comments: