Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Interview With A Special Guest


In response to a desire for a change, I've altered the template of this blog a bit. Let me know your reaction to it. It was cheaper and easier than buying a new car or dying my hair.

As I considered the subject of my next interview, I thought it might be fun to do something different. So, here is an interview with an author whom I know as well as I know myself. Matter of fact…
RM: Richard, welcome to Random Jottings.
RM: What do you mean, “welcome?” I’m here every Tuesday and Friday. Enough of that. How about some questions?
RM: Okay. First, tell our readers a bit about yourself.
RM: I’m a physician, retired after 26 years in solo private practice, 10 years as a Professor at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. That’s the school where I got my medical degree, and my office was in one of the two buildings that were on the campus when I went to med school there. Funny how things come full circle.
My first wife passed away in 1999, and my reflections and journaling after that event got me started on my road to writing. My book, The Tender Scar: LifeAfter The Death Of A Spouse, has been out for five years and still ministers to thousands each year. God has blessed me again with the love of a wonderful woman, and Kay is a great encourager in my writing journey. Together we have five children, one of whom is with the Lord, and five grandchildren.
Kay and I are members of Stonebriar Community Church, where our pastor is Chuck Swindoll. My hobbies are golf and reading mysteries. She paints (when she has time), reads a broad range of fiction and non-fiction, and spends a fair amount of time defending her title as world's greatest grandmother.
RM: You describe your writing as “Medical Suspense With Heart.” How did you decide to write in that vein?
RM: When I started, I had no idea how to write, much less what to write. One thing I knew, however, was that medicine would be a part of my stories. After a blessedly short stint writing other things, including cozy mysteries (which I quickly found are not for me), I settled on what has become my voice, and I've tried to reflect that in my tag line.
I want to emphasize that it took the work of four years spent learning the craft, the experience gained by writing four novels, and the patience to endure forty rejections before I got my first writing contract. But in the meantime, I had a number of short pieces published in The Upper Room devotional guide, in addition to In Touch and The Christian Communicator. Writers should write, and not just books. It all goes to deepen our experience.
 RM: Your fourth novel of medical suspense, Lethal Remedy, will be published this fall. What’s it about?
RM: It’s about a “miracle drug” that can apparently kill more than bacteria. Here’s an excerpt from the back cover copy:
Dr. Sara Miles’ patient is on the threshold of death from an overwhelming, highly resistant infection with a bacterium that doctors call “the killer.” Only an experimental antibiotic can save the girl’s life. When potentially lethal late effects from the drug start showing up, they send Sara on a hunt for critical data that’s been hidden.
What is the missing puzzle piece? Who is hiding it? And can Sara find the answer in time?
 RM: You serve as Vice-President of the American Christian Fiction Writers. What have you learned in your nine months in office?
RM: I've learned a great deal about all the work that goes on behind the scenes to keep this 2400+ member organization going. As elections for half the Operating Board come up this fall, I'm encouraging our membership to look carefully at the qualifications and duties of those officers, and prayerfully consider running. There's no better way to see how the organization functions.
And if there are writers reading this post who are not members, I hope they'll consider the benefits of membership.
RM: Where can readers find out more about you?
RM: Assuming they don’t already know more than they want to, they can check out my web page. They can also follow me on Twitter and Facebook.
RM: Thanks, Richard, for dropping by.
            RM: No problem. I was going to be here anyway.

13 comments:

Christa Allan said...

I'm so impressed that you found an interviewer as savvy as you are!

I really like the new look.

Wilma said...

Very good interview Richard. You knew all the right questions to ask.

I like the new look too.

Wilma

Anne Mateer said...

I love your sense of humor, Doc!

Erica Vetsch said...

Love this! And the new book sounds super!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks to you all: Christa, Wilma, Anne, and Erica (was that an Oxford comma I just inserted?)--appreciate your comments.
Truth be told, I didn't have anything else for a blog post, and thought this would be fun.
Glad you like the new look. I slaved for minutes over it! : )

BJ Hoff said...

I'm impressed with both the interviewer and the interviewee, Richard! Such intriguing questions, such interesting answers.

Good job!

Keli Gwyn said...

I like the new look. The interview was fun. Glad you found such a willing and interesting subject.

Carrie Padgett said...

Thank you for sharing! I was wondering about Lethal Remedy just the other day, when to expect it.

Richard Mabry said...

BJ, you're too kind. Always honored when a respected author such as you drops by and comments.

Keli, no, it's not easy to find subjects that interesting. You can be next. (Actually, you should be. I'll be in touch).

Carrie, I hope you enjoy Lethal Remedy when it finally comes out. Our mentoring group at MH turned out some success stories, and yours will be next.

Richard Mabry said...

BJ, you're too kind. Always honored when a respected author such as you drops by and comments.

Keli, no, it's not easy to find subjects that interesting. You can be next. (Actually, you should be. I'll be in touch).

Carrie, I hope you enjoy Lethal Remedy when it finally comes out. Our mentoring group at MH turned out some success stories, and yours will be next.

BJ Hoff said...

I'm impressed with both the interviewer and the interviewee, Richard! Such intriguing questions, such interesting answers.

Good job!

Anne Mateer said...

I love your sense of humor, Doc!

Richard Mabry said...

In case someone is observant enough to notice duplication of some comments, I toyed with a new "comment system." Like most "newer, better" things, it was more trouble than it's worth--but restoring the old system caused a bit of duplication. The price of non-progress, I guess.