Monday, January 17, 2011

Signing Books

Authors are urged to do book signings as often as possible. It provides name and face recognition for potential readers, and many people enjoy meeting the author of the book they're reading. Over the past four years, I've done a number of book signings. Some were memorable events. Some were disasters. And in one or two, I could have died of loneliness in a dark corner of the book store and no one would have noticed. But the one that's most memorable for me was when I joined about 120 other authors of Christian fiction for a signing at the Mall of Americas. More than 2000 people attended that event, and even this new author got to sign a few of his books and meet a number of readers. That was quite an experience.

That brings up the question of the day. Apparently, e-readers are here to stay. I'm even considering getting a Kindle. But for those who appreciate the personalization of their printed copies, how does that translate into an electronic format? Code Blue was a free Kindle download at Amazon recently, and as a Nook download at Barnes & Noble recently. Medical Error was offered at a significantly discounted price. As a result, even after they returned to full price those books remained at the top of the list for medical thrillers, and I appreciate it. But suppose the e-reader fairy visited me and left me a new one, loaded with books by my favorite authors. How would I get them signed?

Let me know if you have any answers.

1 comment:

Timothy Fish said...

Since the main point of a book signing is for the customer to meet the author, we can always print out copies of the cover graphics and sign that. For that matter, with technology these days, we could print the cover graphics and a picture of the customer with the author on the spot and we could sign that.

Or some of us might be happy to just write our names across the screen of your e-reader.