Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Year's Resolutions?

The start of a new year seems to be the time when our consciences prick us the most, and we respond by making a number of resolutions--resolving to lose weight, break a bad habit, take a trip, spend more time with our family, do a better job at work. The list can go on and on...as can the excuses when the resolutions seem to fall by the wayside.

 I need to lose weight (it's easy--I've done it dozens of times), so I've resolved to drop those holiday pounds and a bunch of others gathered over the past half year or so. I suppose that's my new year's resolution. I need to get more serious about my writing, devoting a specific amount of time each day to producing the novels that are hiding in the dark recesses of my frontal cortex. There may be others, but I suppose those are my two biggies.

Now the question for you, dear reader. What's your number one new year's resolution? And how are you doing with it? Weight Watchers operates on the principle of shared accountability, and it seems to work for most folks. Shall we do the same here, and form Resolution Watchers? I've started by sharing mine. Feel free to chime in.

6 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

I used to write long lists of resolutions, most of which went by the wayside within the first couple of weeks. The past two years I've adopted a motto. This year's is: Embrace Change.

Anne Mateer said...

My resolution this year will, I hope, lead to life-long change. It's to give myself the same grace I give others. If my week gets too busy and I can't make a meeting or a get-together, I can skip it. After all, if one of my friends said to me, "My week is crazy. I just can't make it." I'd totally understand. So why don't I understand when it's me? That's why this year I've resolved to learn to extend grace to ME.

Carol J. Garvin said...

I haven't made resolutions for years. It seemed all too often I was setting myself up for inevitable failure and subsequent depression. Instead, now I have things I 'intend' to do, hope to accomplish. I'm more relaxed in my approach; that keeps my morale higher and I'm more likely to succeed.

I'm continuing with the same intentions I had last year. It wouldn't hurt to add some dieting to the list, too, but that's been a lifelong battle for me, so we'll see. :)

Wishing you success with your resolutions.

Catherine West said...

I don't do the whole resolution thing, but I did set some goals, and one of them was to write, or try to, every day. And so far so good! I'm halfway through my latest manuscript and it's going well. And I also promised myself I'd read a lot more, which I have been doing. Exercise? Not so much. I do walk everyday though, so I guess that counts! Good luck with your list!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks for your comments. I joke about wanting to make a new year's resolution to procrastinate but I keep putting it off, but this isn't the case here. I haven't gotten back to respond because life's been hectic. I think--seriously--one of my resolutions this year is going to be to turn off the mail program on my computer except for a couple of hours each day. Otherwise, I'll never see the light of day.

Carol J. Garvin said...

I haven't made resolutions for years. It seemed all too often I was setting myself up for inevitable failure and subsequent depression. Instead, now I have things I 'intend' to do, hope to accomplish. I'm more relaxed in my approach; that keeps my morale higher and I'm more likely to succeed.

I'm continuing with the same intentions I had last year. It wouldn't hurt to add some dieting to the list, too, but that's been a lifelong battle for me, so we'll see. :)

Wishing you success with your resolutions.