Monday, January 03, 2011

Are We Becoming Alchemists?

For those of you curious about the title of this post, here's a definition of alchemy: An ancient practice focused on changing base metals into gold, investigating the preparation of the elixir of longevity, and achieving ultimate wisdom. In other words, alchemists spent their time in pursuit of what did not currently exist...and was probably impossible to attain.

At this time when the shattered remnants of new year's resolutions surround us like the debris from a Mardi Gras parade, maybe it's time for each of us--myself included--to stop chasing impossible dreams and set our sights on attainable goals.

The manufacturers of weight-loss supplements would have me believe that their particular pill or potions will allow me to drop weight painlessly. That's alchemy. On the other hand,  if I apply myself, using portion control and sensible food choice, maybe I can lose ten or even twenty pounds. That's reasonable.

How many people have lost a great deal of money by following "get rich quick" schemes? They ignore sound and practical financial advice, in search of an elusive dream. Like the alchemists who tried to turn lead into gold, they want success without effort.

Do you know people who seek to recover their lost youth through the way they dress, the company they keep, even the person with whom they share their life? They're looking for the elixir of youth that escaped the alchemists.

The alchemists sought ultimate wisdom. In the Bible, God has provided a guide-book that points us toward Him who is the source of all wisdom. Maybe this is a good time to pay more attention to reading it. That's one of my resolutions this year. How about you?

1 comment:

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Richard, mine is trying to get healthy. I look healthy from the outside, but I know the real truth about my exercise level. :-)