Wednesday, December 01, 2010

A Tap On The Shoulder

I've just been elected incoming Vice-President of the American Christian Fiction Writers. The two women who were also nominated would undoubtedly have served with distinction, and I'm a bit overwhelmed to be selected. It's a signal honor, and one I don't take lightly.

I'll probably keep you, my readers, informed in the days ahead as I "shadow" the current Vice-President, Rebecca Yauger. I just hope I can maintain the standard of service to the organization that Becky has set.

What does a Vice-President do? There are a number of things in the "official" description, but the one I like best is attributed to a prior Vice-President of the US. He was asked about his duties, and his reply went something like this: Well, when I wake up every morning, I ask how the President's feeling that day. If he's okay, I figure I can sleep a little longer. I'm not sure that fits this job, but as time goes on, I'll keep you posted.

14 comments:

Catherine West said...

Congratulations, Richard!! I am so pleased to hear this. You have big shoes to fill as Becky has done such a wonderful job, but I have no doubt you are more than suited for the task!

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Cathy. I think one of my first orders of business will be to lobby for an ACFW annual meeting in Bermuda. How big did you say your house is? ; )

Timothy Fish said...

I suppose congratulations are in order and you might be just the guy to answer a question I have. From all I’ve seen of ACFW, the only time it gathers is at the annual conference and yet I’ve never seen anything that indicates there is any kind of business meeting at the conference. I’ve also never seen anything that looks like a separate annual meeting and yet here you’ve been elected in December. How are the officers elected if the membership never meets?

Richard Mabry said...

I doubt that I'm the expert in this area, but I do have some answers. The election is held online. Open nominations are followed by posting of a photo and brief bio to let members know who's running. There's also a posting of the duties of each office. Voting goes on for two weeks. All this is done on the "members only" section of the ACFW website.
The Board meets each spring, as well as concurrent with the fall annual meeting. So far as I know, members are welcome to bring any business to the attention of the Board at any time.
Thanks for asking, Timothy. I hope you'll consider joining the ACFW in the future.

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Congratulations, Richard!

I'm excited for you.

I thoroughly enjoyed the conference in September!

~ Wendy

Julie Jarnagin said...

Congratulations! That is very exciting news.

Anne Mateer said...

I'm very excited for you and know you will do a great job! Wow. I have friends in high places now! :)

Heather Sunseri said...

Congrats, Richard! That's exciting. I know you'll do a fantastic job.

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations, Richard! It's nice to know ACFW is in such capable hands. May God bless and guide you as you serve.

Richard L. Mabry, MD said...

Wendy, Julie, Anne, Heather, Keli--it's having wonderful friends and colleagues like you that makes this writing journey a pleasure in the midst of deadlines, rewrites, and new responsibilities...like this one. Thanks for your support.

Rosslyn Elliott said...

Congrats! I know you will do a great job.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Hi, Richard! I just read this news somewhere else and thought I'd pop over to say congratulations! I look forward to hearing more about your duties.

Keli Gwyn said...

Congratulations, Richard! It's nice to know ACFW is in such capable hands. May God bless and guide you as you serve.

Catherine West said...

Congratulations, Richard!! I am so pleased to hear this. You have big shoes to fill as Becky has done such a wonderful job, but I have no doubt you are more than suited for the task!