Monday, December 27, 2010

After Christmas...What?

Okay, I know I said I was going to take a break from blogging, but on this day after Christmas I kept thinking about some things, and it occurred to me that perhaps they're worth sharing.

My own Christmas was good, although tinged with sadness. We had my family together on Christmas Eve for a wonderful meal, an exchange of presents, and enjoyment of almost-two-year-old Cassidy Ann. It was one of the best times we've had together since Cynthia passed away eleven years ago.

The next day we spent some time with Shelly and her sons. This is their (and our) first Christmas since her husband, Kay's oldest son, Phil died tragically this spring. We cried. We laughed. We got through it. And this "year of firsts" moved one notch further toward a close.

Then we went to the home of Ann and Benny, where my son-in-law cooked enough for several small armies, my daughter directed the controlled chaos, and the noise level never got below a dull roar. And it was nice.

Sunday we attended church, followed by another meal (courtesy of Kay) at the home of her younger son, David, the first time he and his wife have celebrated Christmas together as a family. A total of six adults and five children filled the house with laughter, conversation, and remnants of wrapping paper.

Now it's the Monday after Christmas, and life goes on. To quote the late Don Meredith, "Ain't nothin' as over as Christmas." But is it really? We celebrate the birth of Jesus, but shouldn't we keep Him in our hearts all year long? We give gifts, but shouldn't we exercise a spirit of giving throughout the coming year? We are a bit more tender, a bit more loving at this time of year, but what's keeping us from trying to maintain that for another twelve months?

I hope your Christmas was great. Moreover, I hope it really isn't over.

4 comments:

Rosslyn Elliott said...

I absolutely agree. In my favorite Christmas story, Scrooge says: "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."

I hope to stay more conscious of the needs of others, in the spirit of Christmas.

I'm glad you all made it through this Christmas OK. The first one is always hard. I just read about a Christmas worship service that is gaining popularity and is known as a "Blue Christmas" service. It's designed for those who are grieving and who need a gathering place where it's OK to be sad and seek comfort during the holidays. I hope our church might do one next year.

Richard Mabry said...

Thanks, Rosslyn. What a great idea. I'll mention that to one of our pastors as well.
This Christmas is especially tough, as one of my best friends called me last week with the news that his wife of almost sixty years had suffered a stroke and was in what will undoubtedly be a terminal coma. It brought back painful memories for me, but I hope my experience will help my friend through this.
I'd hazard a guess that around each of us is someone who's hurting at this time of year. Another reason to be tender and sensitive to all.

Loren said...

As we spent the day cleaning up and putting away I thought along these very lines. Of course, you said it far more eloquently :)

Thank you

Carol J. Garvin said...

My husband is fond of reminding his congregation that "We are an Easter people and should hold Easter in our hearts all year long." I like your idea that we should do the same with Christmas. An excellent reminder, thank you.